(Image Source: Pexels)
SEO can be an excellent strategy to get you to the top in search results pages and get an edge over your competitors.
After all, an effective SEO strategy can help you rank higher in search pages, get your website more quality traffic, and ultimately lead to better sales.
SEO, however, can take some elbow grease and a significant amount of your time, so learning and applying the right techniques for your ecommerce website is crucial to get the best results for your efforts.
To help you step up your SEO game plan, here are four essential SEO strategies to boost your ecommerce website.
1. Find what your customers are searching with keyword research.
The first step in building your SEO ecommerce campaign is keyword research.
Doing keyword research before starting your SEO campaign can help you determine the right keywords to target so you can rank higher in search results pages.
It also helps you identify which keywords to rank for that can get significant traffic and influence your potential customers to purchase.
However, selecting the right keywords can require more than just checking how many users search for it or its difficulty to rank for.
One of the best strategies for doing keyword research is using SEO tools like Ubersuggest and SEMRush.
SEMRush will give you data such as keyword organic and paid search volume, phrase match keywords, related keywords, keyword difficulty, etc., and get the same data from your competitors.
The tool also allows you to compare the difficulty of multiple keywords to help you determine which ones can work better in your SEO campaign.
Keyword research tools allow you to identify the right keywords that can give you the best results for your SEO efforts and look at what terms or topics your competitors rank for.
Data from keyword research tools can also be your building blocks as you develop other SEO strategies such as content marketing.
2. Build a website structure that helps you rank higher.
Your website structure or how your product pages, category pages, and site navigation are set up can be crucial factors in getting relevant content to your visitors with the least number of clicks as possible.
This makes it crucial to structure these site elements in a way that will allow your visitors to get from one of your web pages to the other in no more than three clicks.
To help you build an excellent website structure, you need to consider making your site scalable with simple navigation.
You also need to use keyword research to make highly relevant subdirectories and page URLs.
Here are other useful tips to help you build a great website structure:
- Link your homepage to all of your top category pages, including some of your best performing product pages.
Internal linking and effective navigation can help make sure that these pages receive a significant amount of authority from your home page, and can allow greater opportunities for your site to rank higher.
- Create great content as this can help you get many external backlinks from other websites and can aid in raising your rankings.
You can then channel the link authority that you get from your content down to your category and product pages.
- Include a related products section on each of your product pages as this can help increase your average order value and add relevant internal links.
Creating a great website structure can be challenging, but there are web design service providers like PWD you can work with to improve your website to rank higher in search results pages.
3. Improve your site’s authority through link building.
A widely used strategy in SEO is link building.
In a nutshell, link building is geared towards getting other websites to link to your site, and the more they link to you, the higher you can rank in search results.
The question is, how do you get these links?
One of the challenges that websites face is driving enough organic links to help raise their search engine rankings, making link building a popular choice for SEO.
To help you begin building valuable and high-quality links, here are a few tips you can follow.
- Make social media profiles and local search profiles (when applicable). Links may not always be counted for search rankings, but they can lure clicks that can drive extra incoming traffic to your site.
- Reach out to related businesses (but not a direct competitor) to check if they’re will link to your site. A good strategy in doing this is to check if they have existing link pages on their website for suppliers, partners, etc.
- Make link ‘‘worthy” content. One way of doing this is through infographics. Infographics are great ways to present vital information and let others use these on their sites and have them link back to you in exchange.
- Submit guest posts to popular site and blogs in your niche. Through guest blog posting, you can get links back to your website in the author box at the bottom or top of the post content.
Another excellent technique is by using online tools like Linkody to track your link building campaigns.
The tool can analyze your website’s backlinks, connect to your Google Analytics account to have access to more of your website data, and track the social shares of your site.
Another useful feature the tool has is that it allows you to disavow bad links that can hurt your SEO.
You can set disavow rules based on the Google disavow format or import from other sources.
Link building can be challenging and time-consuming, but a successful campaign can get you backlinks from other websites that have high domain authority to help improve your rankings.
4. Keyword optimization for on-page SEO.
The key to successful on-page SEO is ensuring that Google understands what your pages are all about by placing your keywords in strategic locations in your website such as your product pages, blog content, and category pages.
On-page SEO is another crucial strategy as it can help your website be visible in other SERP features.
To help you optimize your on-page SEO for your category pages, here are a few tips on where you can place your keywords:
- Your URL. Google usually goes for easier to read and simple URLs, so it’s crucial to make your URL readable and friendly and have your primary keywords.
- Your meta title tag. As much as possible, place the keyword as close to the beginning of your title.
Title tags are crucial factors to help search engines know what your web page is about, and they’re the first things people see when they appear on SERPs.
This makes it essential to include your keywords at the beginning of your title tags.
For example, if the keyword phrase you are optimizing for is “life coach certification online,” then an excellent way to write your meta title tag is like the one shown in the screenshot below.
- Your image alt text. Google relies on your alt text to understand what your page is about since it can’t read images.
Including your keywords in your image alt text is also another optimization opportunity since this can help you show up in image search pages.
SEO can be a challenging, competitive, but effective strategy to generate sustainable and valuable traffic to your website.
Plus, optimizing your website to rank higher in SERP can help build your value over time, drive more quality traffic, and increase your site’s authority.
What other SEO strategies do you plan on leveraging to boost your ecommerce website?
Let us know in our comments section below. Cheers!